Saturday, June 30, 2012

On Apathy

I could sit here in this chair until I die.

I could sit here dissolving the clock in the eternity of nature’s now until I die.

I could sit here observing this everchanging scene all about me until I die.

I could sit here and let people assume my neutrality is apathy until I die.


But I get hungry and must rise to feed myself food I grew or gathered.

But I must rise to relieve myself of the remains of what I ate to fertilize future food.

But I must rise to plant and tend my garden or feed the hens.

But I must rise to satisfy acquired appetites not to be plucked from plants or nests.


I could sit here and let people assume my activity is ambition until I die.

I could sit here in this ongoing experience until I die.

That this sun will someday rise without me makes now a deeper experience.

No, I'm not apathetic or ambitious.

I'm happy in love going nowhen.

For a while a willing host to the observer of the eternal instant.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful - and so true - and true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete